A Place for Romance: Paranormal | Fantasy | Futuristic | Contemporary | Historical | Suspense | & Asian Dramas

4.22.2010

Soul Stealer


Sara Lane expects to die young, but when the time comes, she’s not ready. She needs two more weeks to finish a homeless shelter before winter sets in and people die on the streets. Who does a girl have to sleep with to live a few extra days?

How about the sexiest, most dangerous of all bad boys—Death himself?

Cain’s job as a designated death dealer is clear. Kill and move on. Don’t get attached. Don’t feel. But when Sara pleads to cut a deal for more time, Cain is tempted by an unexpected craving for this beautiful, courageous woman. As their lips meet, her life force shakes him to his bones, seals the bargain—and breaks all the rules.

Keeping Sara alive is a dangerous proposition. The Powers That Be are furious and unleash bloodthirsty demons to steal Sara’s soul from Death—the one man who’s hell-bent on saving her life.

I think something is broken. This can't be right.

Because the past hand full of books I've read have left me begging for more. The Lyra series.. then Waitin On A Hero.. now Soul Stealer.

DID NOT realize going in that this was a story about Cain. Cain! Abel's Cain! Cain, from the Bible, Cain!

No one can ever say the name Abel without saying Cain first. -Abel

When a heart defect brings Sara next in line for the Pearly Gates, the task falls to Cain to collect her soul. But when Sara begs for more time, just enough to open the homeless shelter she's dedicated her life to, Cain finds himself faced with a bargain he can't refuse.

"You listen. I'm going to die. I know that. Shoot, I've lived longer than anyone else in my family. When you're the last one..." She took a deep breath. "I came to terms with dying long ago, after my two brothers and mother passed. And when Dad died of a broken heart--" Her eyes filled.

He shifted his feet. He understood only too well what it meant to be the last of his kind. "Count yourself fortunate," he said gruffly. "Shortly you'll be with your loved ones." He raised his hand, fingers splayed before her face.

Her heart squeezed.

"No! Stop doing that." She slapped his hand down. "I told you. I can't go yet. I refuse."

He glared at her. "That decision is not yours to make."

"I'm not talking about forever. Jeez, who does a girl have to sleep with to get an additional two weeks around here?" she huffed.

His heart stopped. It had been at least a millennium since he cared for a woman, centuries since he had slept with one.

A smile played on her lips, one eyebrow lifted. "I thought I was joking, but from the look on your face..." She ran her hands down her body. "Do I have something here? Can I barter for two weeks?"


Kimberley Troutte creates a beautiful manipulation of the tale of Cain as she plays into the old saying 'A man is more than the worst thing he has ever done'. Taking the 'cold-blooded murderer' and shining a new light on a guilt-ridden soul, Soul Stealer stirs the body's response with erotic love making, touches the heart with it's ever changing ride of emotions, and moves the soul with it's take on religious characters and afterlife issues.

So begins a story of two people falling in love while multiple other Biblical characters make surprise visits. Demons lurking outside an abandoned JCPenney-turned-Homeless shelter. Hounds of Hell about to be set loose any minute. And, oh yeah, someone starts chucking amphibians.

"This is me." Sara pointed to the two-story, brick-faced building.

"Your house?" he said sharply.

Unlocking the door, she continued, "I've got the top floor. Mr. Onashi is on the bottom. He plays funky Japanese music, but he's nice. What? Why are you glaring at me?"

He glanced over his shoulder with wary eyes. "Didn't you hear me? You are running for your life, Sara. Not stopping for tea."

Where's the hardcopy cuz this one deserves a place on the shelves!

This was it! Her life was over. The thought made her unbearably sad. She didn't want to die--the shelter wasn't finished and she hadn't saved any lives yet. Heaven would be an awesome place, but she wasn't ready to go. She only hoped that Cain could save her from the evil bursting through the door.

Let it be done quickly, she prayed, not wanting anything to chew on her nerves and all those other horrible things Cain had predicted. And Cain, she added to her prayers.Keep him safe from harm.

Then the sweetest voice said, "There you are. I've been searching everywhere."

"Holy... Mother," Cain said.

Sara's eyes flew open and she peeked around his shoulder. Before them stood an attractive woman aged between forty and fifty, it was hard to tell. She wore a long flowing dress the color of amber. She was beautiful and regal. Her black hair waved to the middle of her back and framed a smiling face. She held her hand up and waved at Sara.

Sara's mouth fell open. Was she really staring at...? Oh. My. Gosh!

"Hello, dear, I'm--" the woman began.

"Oh my, oh my, oh my." Awestruck, Sara dropped to her knees in front of the woman. With her forehead pressed to the floor she mumbled, "I know who you are! I love your Son!"

"You do?" Cain asked.

"Really?" The woman's voice was laced with shock.

Sara looked up in time to see Cain glaring at the woman.

"Sorry, Cain," the woman said with a shrug. "I've just never heard anyone say that before. Have you?"

Sara sat up, blinking in bewilderment. "You're not Mary?"

The woman's hand flew to her mouth. "No, dear. I am not the Mother of God."

Cain's face was red all the way to his ears. "Her son is a lot less important. Please, Sara, get up." He hoisted her to her feet. "This is my mother. Eve."

No comments: