A Place for Romance: Paranormal | Fantasy | Futuristic | Contemporary | Historical | Suspense | & Asian Dramas

5.05.2010

Spider's Bite: Elemental Assassin #1



My name is Gin Blanco. They call me the Spider — the most feared assassin in the South (and a part-time cook at the Pork Pit BBQ joint.) As a Stone elemental, I can hear the whispers of the gravel beneath my feet and feel the vibrations of the soaring mountains above me, though I don't use my powers on the job unless I absolutely have to. Call it professional pride.

After a ruthless Air elemental double-crossed me and killed my handler, I'm out for revenge. And I'll exterminate anyone who gets in my way. I may look hot in a miniskirt, but I'm still one of the bad guys. Which is why I'm in trouble when irresistibly rugged Detective Donovan Caine agrees to help. The last thing a coldhearted killer needs when she's battling a magic more powerful than her own is a sexy distraction ... especially when he wants her dead just as much as the enemy.

Assassinations and pork? OMG awesomeness!

When it comes to romancing an assassin, there's only one kind of person worthy of the challenge- another assassin. Certainly not a cop which is exactly what Donovan Caine is. And Gin and Caine have their own history, beginning with Gin killing Caine's rapist of a partner for no charge a few months ago.

So... although I'm sure Caine will be the target of the on and off again relationship just waiting to be birthed, I kept my eye out for other possibilities. Fletcher, her mentor. Finn, her surrogate brother. Brutus, a fellow assassin. Each and all crossed off the list for one reason or another. Sorry Brutus.

Actually I think Gin summarized the romance with Caine just perfectly when she described sex with Finn- 'adequate, but unremarkable'.

I don't ordinarily like my heroines to be promiscuous but virgin assassins are just wrong so Gin's past and male-like perspective on sex sat just fine with me. I like that she's already been with Finn. Cuts away the mystery of the unknown and adds a casual play to their relationship. No tension, with a been there; done that air about them.


It's one of those where no one is safe. Where the options are endless and sometimes the most unlikely route is taken. Sometimes not. It's dark. It's bloody. It's descriptive on an almost surreal level. I loved it.

Easily the best I've read of urban fantasy.

Although, it's a bit wordy. And long. Very long. Did I mention it was long?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

*chuckles* You crack me up...

this one's on my tbr list but not very high...if it's sooo wordy it may go even lower. although it'd be pretty cool if she were able to work with spiders or something of the sort. *grins*

even though it just may be the title..spiders and ubf is wicked kewl...lol.

Ragan said...

The spider is her rune (and alias as an assassin). Every one has a rune that's their unique calling card. It also reflects her personality, patient and lurking in the shadows. She's a Stone elemental but the story revolves around the Airs. I think the next may star the Fires.