A Place for Romance: Paranormal | Fantasy | Futuristic | Contemporary | Historical | Suspense | & Asian Dramas

7.21.2010

Cast in CHAOS, Elantra #6

I anticipate the next book of the Elantra series every year just so it can build me up... tear me down... and, once read, make me feel relieved to have survived it.


Kaylin Neya is a Hawk, part of the elite force tasked with keeping the City of Elantra safe. Her past is dark, her magic uncontrolled and her allies unpredictable. And nothing has prepared her for what is coming, when the charlatans on Elani Street suddenly grow powerful, the Oracles are thrown into an uproar and the skies rain blood…

The powerful of Elantra believe that the mysterious markings on Kaylin’s skin hold the answer, and they are not averse to using her–how ever they have to-in order to discover what it is.

Something is coming, breaking through the barriers between the worlds. But is it a threat that Kaylin needs to defend her city against–or has she been chosen for another reason entirely?


July 20th. 5:12 PM

*giddy as can be*

CAST IN CHAOS!

Seriously, this deserves some amazing intro music. Okay, okay, okay. Imagine the TKO voice from Mortal Combat. Duh Duh Duh... CAST IN CHAOS!

I was loveloveloving Dark Obsession (Shadow Destroyers #4 by Sydney Somers) but I just had to put it down for Severn. Parker wasn't doing so bad though. He and Rae have a great story to tell. Thankfully I'm only working a few hours the next couple of days. Yippee!

In the sixth installment, the windows are gaining personalities and the skies are raining blood. Wow. How do you not look at that sentence and wonder what the hell am I reading?

July 21st. 4:21 PM

In this book, Kailyn decides she wants to know what it is that the guys (Severn and Nightshade) want from her. What they're in this for. What they expect. Blah blah blah. And because Nightshade is a bastard and I don't care for him I'm going to skip his reply. This, on the other, more regal, hand, was Severn's:

"If I want what you can't give, if I want what you don't want, and you try to give it to me, either because you feel that I'm owed-" He shook his head. "I don't spend a lot of time around other people. As a Wolf, there wasn't much time. But I did spend time observing other couples. And that interaction-it doesn't work. Never has. You take two fairly decent people, people you like, people you more or less respect, and you put them together like that, where they're both trying to be things they aren't because it's what the other person needs-it's painful. As its worst, they're both feeling hurt, and they both see the other person as a villain.
If I need something you can't give, I need to walk away, because sooner or later, all I'll see is what you can't give. I won't be able to see what you can."

I found it strange he used the word 'couples'. Hmm...

Now I don't consider Kailyn a very random person but she sure as hell knocked me out of the boat in this one. Here she is, in the void of time, squaring off with the Devourer, and she spews out 'What do you love about me?'

I mean What? Really?

And Severn doesn't say much - ever - but definitely lit up the pages in Chaos. The man is good! And he has sent so many balls in Kaylin's court the chick could build a ball pit. Seriously.

And OMG, the guy gets into the end zone and out of nowhere - bam! Somebody mentions Steffi and Jade and suddenly there's a flag on the field and the guy gets moved back ten yards. Yes, Steffi and Jade are once again an issue. Enough already!

All in all... four stars. I'm saving five for when I finally get a damn kiss between Severn and Kaylin!!

Oh and btw, this book does not have 416 pages as Goodreads reported. It has 503. And I starred eleven different pages. More if you count the back of a page separately. Severn was on a roll!

She turned her back on him and stripped off most of her clothing, tossing it all over her shoulder and onto the floor. Then she shuffled over to the window-side of the bed.
He laughed. It wasn't an entirely happy laugh.
"What?"
"I'll sleep here." (in a chair)
"It's not as if we didn't share a bed for most of our--"
"You were younger."
"So were you."
"It would be more difficult now--for me. I'll watch," he added, smoothing the edges off his words. "Sleep."
And she did, thinking as she drifted off, that she really didn't understand Severn.

1 comment:

Neena said...

dammit..dammit...dammit!!! *stomps in frustration* dammit, dammit, dammit B!! *growly&points @ you* You did this deliberately *KNOWING* I can't just immediately jump to book 6....*growls*

You're done already?! I blew this entry up on the screen so as to not miss a thing...only to find i'm missing it all...*grr* You horrible tease!