A Place for Romance: Paranormal | Fantasy | Futuristic | Contemporary | Historical | Suspense | & Asian Dramas

9.12.2012

Found: Brides of the Kindred #4


Found
Evangeline Anderson
Brides of the Kindred, book four
ebook, 379 pages
Published October 15th 2011 by self published (first published October 14th 2011)
ISBN 9781452444468

A warrior with a scarred heart who doesn’t know how to love. And the woman who must teach him how before it’s too late…

The son of the evil AllFather, Xairn is filled with conflicting emotions. On one hand, he has finally gained his freedom and cut the ties that bound him to his race and the sadistic male who is his father. But doing so has unleashed feelings in him Xairn would rather keep buried. Desires that he prayed would never manifest now rage through him and they are centered on one woman alone…

Lauren Jakes is the long lost cousin Liv and Sophie never knew they had. Abducted by the Scourge, she formed a connection with Xairn more meaningful than any other in his life. But though Lauren thinks she knows him, there is more to the huge Scourge warrior than she comprehends. A nightmare childhood and a cruel father have scarred Xairn’s heart almost past the point of healing. But that is nothing to the secret inside him—the forbidden desires coded into his very DNA itself, which urge him to commit unspeakable acts in order to sate his newly awakened hunger.

Now a conflict is brewing—both in Xairn’s soul, and aboard the Fathership where the twisted AllFather has hatched a new, malicious plot to bring his estranged son home. Can Xairn resist the brutal lust growing within him? Can he fight against his very nature which urges him to dominate and control any female he mates? Can Lauren heal his heart before the AllFather’s trap closes on both of them? And can she teach him how to love before it’s too late?

! Spoilers !

Xairn and Lauren have escaped the AllFather through a wormhole in space, but he's tracking them and Xairn knows there's nowhere they can hide. Not unless they change their very DNA.

So they seek out a man who can do just that. Xairn's been planning it for years, although Lauren was in no way a part of the fantasy and he begins to fear he hasn't the goods to afford to barter for the procedure for them both. Luckily, after Lauren nearly sells herself into sexual slavery to a guy called Spider, they're able to come to a deal with a scientist and Xairn's and Lauren's DNA are mixed.

Xairn awakens to find his grey skin now a rich, tanned white and his eyes a deep blue green. Lauren, though, as Xairn preferred, changed in no physical way. Her scent, however has been altered. For now she smells of him.

By now we've also learned the mating history of Xairn's people. The way they chained and bonded their females. Collared them. Branded them. And thoroughly dominated them. Things that Xairn feels compelled to act out upon Lauren. And despite his warnings, Lauren isn't all that affected by his BDSM urgings. Although getting pierced below the belt is definitely in the not-gonna-happen category.

Still, despite her acceptance of him, Xairn rejects her body. And her affection. Until, met with the chance of losing her yet again to Spider, he takes her name as a brand on his chest. Forevermore, she owns him. Body, heart, and soul.

Meanwhile, Sophia and Sylvan have prepared a quiet bonding ceremony much like an intimate wedding. Nadiah, Sylvan's cousin has been invited and although she's due to be bonded to Lick Yo-Dah Low (yeah...) she's psyched to be the female chosen to do the Luck Kiss which she's foreseen will be with a Kindred Warrior. And this girl's got the hots for Kindred Warriors.

Things get screwy though when Deep and Lock mistake Detective Rast as Sylvan's friend, Merrick, and push him into place for the Luck Kiss. And my, what a kiss it was. That man's no mere human. And neither is he a believer in Nadiah's gift. So yes, we're back to another couple off to a bad start and with a detective that doesn't have faith in psychics we're in the land of cliche again. But it's not so bad this time around, I must say.

  • Olivia put a hand on her hip. ​"Seriously, Detective Rast, does it say ​professional jerk​ on your business cards or what?"
    ​ "No, it says that I find missing persons,"​ he snapped. ​"And I don​t need a bunch of psychic mumbo-jumbo to help me do it."
    "​I never offered you my help."​ Nadiah gave him a look that could freeze a laser beam. ​"And don'​t worry, Detective, I never will."
    His striking green eyes flashed. "​I wouldn'​t take it if you begged me."
    Nadiah put her hands on her hips. ​"Begged you? Are you out of your tiny human mind?"​ She sniffed and her eyes flickered down to his crotch. "​Though I'​m sure that​'s not the only thing that​s tiny about you."
    Detective Rast, who was as big as Xairn or any of the Kindred warriors Lauren had seen, raised an eyebrow at Nadiah. "​Are you saying you want to come down and check out my equipment? Because that​s certainly what it sounds like."
    Nadiah​s cheeks went bright red. "Of course not. I have no interest in your... your... in that!"
    He crossed his arms over his chest. ​"Then why were you looking south of my belt?"
    "​I... I was looking at your weapon,"​ Nadiah protested. ​"I have no interest in anything else."
    "​My weapon, huh?"​ He smirked. ​"Well, I think I can promise you it​'s a larger caliber than you could handle.​"


After Xairn and Lauren make it safely to Earth, we begin to explore the new Xairn. A virgin with an increasing desire to dominate (bondage included), who doesn't know even the basics of a relationship. As he attempts to avoid his urges during their first sexual encounter, he fails to realize his actions are exactly that. He maintains control of her through instruction and physically bracing her. I loved every minute! This was the Evangeline Anderson work I love.

When the sexual tension becomes too much for Xairn to fight or ignore, he suggests a different approach. He takes the submissive role. And I LMAO!

  • The black leash was stiff and awkward to work with. In the end Lauren had to settle for tying his hands behind his back and making them fasten to the back of the kitchen chair he was sitting on. When she was done, Xairn looked up at her with fiery eyes.
    “Now slap me.”
    “What?” Lauren protested. “I dont want to do that!”
    “Do it,” he grated. “I could shred this little cord that binds me and snap the chair to splinters with no effort at all. “You need to assert your dominance, Mistress.”
    “But I can’t.”
    “Yes, you can,” he growled. “Damn it, Lauren, do you want this or not?”
    Lauren lifted her chin. “You know I do.”
    “If you want me, you have to dominate me first.” His eyes flashed. “Or I’ll free myself and dominate you instead.” Suddenly his voice dropped to an almost pleading tone. “Please, Lauren, I don’t… don't want to do that. Don’t want to hurt you.”
    Lauren took a deep breath. This wasn’t how she’d imagined her first time with Xairn. Hell, this wasn’t something she’d imagined doing with anyone. But she loved him and if this was what it took... “Fine,” she said in a low voice. “I’ll do it. And… and I won’t hold back.”
    “Good.” He looked at her hungrily. “Then slap me.”
    Lauren shook her head. “I said I’d do it but I’m going to do it my way, you understand?”
    He just stared at her, that hungry, animalistic look growing in his eyes. Lauren sensed she was losing him. Have to do something quick! Threading her fingers through his thick black hair, she grabbed a handful and yanked his head back. Then she leaned over him and looked him in the eye. “I said, do you understand?”
    Xairns whole body jerked and his eyes widened in obvious surprise. “Yes.”

Mmmm. Better than chocolate. But damn, out of all four books so far, this one had the least smut. And it was the most deserving!

Lauren doesn't hold the control for long and both are a bit lax when it comes to punishment but at least the task gets accomplished and by the end, the AllFather is dead, Xairn and Lauren are bonded, and Nadiah and Rast have settled their dispute.

Whew! You know it's a good read when your post ends up this long, and you still can't shut up. 5 out of 5 stars.

On to the next!


Previously in the series:

No comments: