A Place for Romance: Paranormal | Fantasy | Futuristic | Contemporary | Historical | Suspense | & Asian Dramas

11.24.2014

Mockingjay (Hunger Games #3)

Real or not real?


Mockingjay
Suzanne Collins
Hunger Games, book three
ebook, 390 pages
Published August 24th 2010 by Scholastic Press
ISBN 9780439023511

My name is Katniss Everdeen.
Why am I not dead?
I should be dead.


Katniss Everdeen, girl on fire, has survived, even though her home has been destroyed. Gale has escaped. Katniss's family is safe. Peeta has been captured by the Capitol. District 13 really does exist. There are rebels. There are new leaders. A revolution is unfolding.

It is by design that Katniss was rescued from the arena in the cruel and haunting Quarter Quell, and it is by design that she has long been part of the revolution without knowing it. District 13 has come out of the shadows and is plotting to overthrow the Capitol. Everyone, it seems, has had a hand in the carefully laid plans--except Katniss.

The success of the rebellion hinges on Katniss's willingness to be a pawn, to accept responsibility for countless lives, and to change the course of the future of Panem. To do this, she must put aside her feelings of anger and distrust. She must become the rebels' Mockingjay--no matter what the personal cost.


So I watched the first two movies. Might as well read the third book, right?

Although, to be honest, I had a lot of problems with the first movie. Lesson learned: Read the book. Movies are trash. Too many questions arise from watching movies, watching actors on a screen. That problem doesn't exist when reading books. You know what the characters are doing, what they're thinking. Because you're in their heads.

Things I learned while reading this book... that escaped me while watching the movies:

1. Peeta was an artist.

I so missed that memo! Although, yes, when I rewatched Catching Fire to prepare myself for this book, I did notice the artwork Peeta did of Rue when he had to perform for the Capitol folk. First time around, that went right over my head. Did not realize he actually drew that.

2. How Peeta and Katniss met.

When I watched the scene in the first move where Peeta was throwing burnt bread into the pig pen... Well, for one, that was not how that was recounted here. Secondly, while I realized Katniss was very much going to take that bread, it wasn't entirely clear that Peeta was doing it on purpose. Again, books clear up so much confusion.

3. Peeta and Katniss had never spoken, until the Hunger Games.

Suspected it, but the book cemented it.

4. Gale isn't really competition for Peeta.

In the movie, Katniss comes across as being very manipulative. In truth, the girl's just lost. Ok, and yes, manipulative.

As far as Mockingjay is concerned... I liked the path that was taken with Peeta. Drugged and "hijacked" by the Capitol, Peeta is forced to see Katniss without the blinders of love and nearly takes her life more than once. Strangely enough, he and Katniss do end up together. By default, that is. Everyone else either abandoned her, died, or was Haymitch.

I was okay with this book for the most part. Until the epilogue. That first paragraph just went and pissed me off and ruined everything.

It took five, ten, fifteen years for me to agree. But Peeta wanted them so badly.


What a bitch.

No comments: