I'm not the broken hero you wish me to be.
I'm the one who slits the hero's throat.
I'm the one who slits the hero's throat.
The Ever King
L.J. Andrews
The Ever Seas, book one
Audiobook, 13+ hours
Paperback, 408 pages
Independently published August 29, 2023
ASIN B0F144XV8H
ISBN 9798989076802
For years Erik, the scarred king of the Ever Kingdom, has thought of nothing but vengeance against the man who killed his father and trapped him beneath the waves, making him a prisoner in his own realm.
Until his enemy’s daughter unintentionally breaks the chains on the Ever, and Erik makes her the unwitting pawn in his vicious game of revenge.
She’s innocent. He’s vicious. But he will take back what he lost, no matter the price.
Unless she steals his heart first.
This book was not properly marketed to me, or else I would have picked it up a looooong time ago. And no, I don't remember what actually made me add it to my TBR to begin with. Enemies to lovers, maybe. The villain gets the girl, possibly. Somehow, though, I didn't manage to grasp just how delighfully vengeful and morally grey our dear MMC, Erik Bloodsinger, would be. Although I'm late to this series, I will recap this book nonetheless.
Turns and turns ago, Erik Bloodsinger, son of the king of Ever, was tortured by his father's enemies. In retaliation, or in a quest for justice, the king attacked those who stole his heir and lost his own life in the process. Erik, years later, would be banished to the Ever Seas, beneath the depths of the ocean surface, and imprisoned behind a Chasm sealed with his own poisonous blood.
Enter Livia Ferus, daughter of the man who took his throne and his father's life. She was a young, innocent thing that sneaked near Erik's cell and offered him comfort with a story. The story of the Songbird and the Serpent.
Comfort, or taming.
A bond was forged. A claim was made.
And despite the years that have passed, Erik's need for vengeance festers and grows. Then Livia breaks the lock. She unwittingly unseals the Chasm and Erik feels the call of his mantle, and the pull to her.
Deadly and unapologetic. Erik returns to land to take back his mantle and cut down his father's killer. Instead, he abducts Livia. Now a grown, spitfire FMC, who can't manage to shut her mouth or stifle her disgust.
The magic. The language. The grit. The violence. Fae of the earth. Fae of the sea. Heartwalkers. Bonekeepers. Tidecallers. The cast is casting.
Him. Her.
Ugh. Her.
I am drawn to FMCs that have had the worst of the world thrown at them, and they still come out a sweetheart. Auren. Suren. Tisannah. These are my queens. And now. Livia
Daughter of warriors. Princess of earth magic. Blood of the Night Folk fae. Painter of windows. Rebuker of the Ever King. And on and on.
She was so good for Erik. She challenged him. She stood for him. She left no room for debate in that she claimed him.
“If I cry your name,” she whispered against my lips. “Then you better shout mine, you bastard.”
Chef's kiss. Tip of the tricorn. Riotous ovation.
5 out of 5 stars.
Available in ebook | hardcover | paperback | audiobook
Next in the series:
2026/35
