An online book journal featuring genres of romance: Fantasy • Paranormal • Contemporary • Historical • & Asian Dramas

9.29.2026

Threshing Day (The Empyrean #3.5)


May their souls be commended to Malek.



Threshing Day
Rebecca Yarros
The Empyrean, book three point five
Audiobook, ~6 hours
Hardcover, 224 pages
Published September 29, 2026
ASIN B0GZ14SN6W
ISBN 9781682818084



Welcome to Threshing Day, the brutal, high-stakes trial where would-be riders at Basgiath War College fight to earn the bond of a dragon or die trying. Amid ruthless competition and dragon fire, these thirteen cadets must survive a battlefield where desperate rivals will do anything to gain an advantage and dragons decide one’s ultimate fate―and where a single choice can forge a rider…or destroy them.

Xaden Riorson, the powerful leader.
Rhiannon Matthias, the clever friend.
Dain Aetos, the dutiful rule-follower.
Liam Mairi, the kindhearted protector.
Ridoc Gamlyn, the jokester.
Sawyer Henrick, the underdog.
Garrick Tavis, the dependable aide.
Imogen Cardulo, the impulsive fighter.
Bodhi Durran, the second-in-command.
Mira Sorrengail, the fearless rider.
Brennan Sorrengail, the brilliant tactician.
Aaric Graycastle, the restless royal.
Sloane Mairi, the determined sister.

On Threshing Day, there’s only one rule: don’t die.

Brennan

Brought tears to my eyes. How dare Yarros start it off like that? "Are you a bird, Sorrengail?" Ahhh. The audio was everything. This story had a bit of it all. Humor. Emotion. Danger. Marbh is excellent.

Mira

Meh. After reading this, I fully expect Mira to die.

Xaden

Did we know the truth of what happened to the heir? Because my mind blanked. And now I know a reread of Onyx Storm is necessary before continuing to book four.

Garrick

He's pining. But not hard enough.

Dain

The baggage this man is carrying.

Bodhi

"Your climbing skills are superior to your reasoning skills." Yeah. That about sums it up.

Xaden was in the wrong here, and elsewhere. I don't know what game Sgaeyl and he were playing at, but telling Bodhi who his dragon bond was supposed to be with absolutely stole a moment from him. Whether it's meeting their eyes or hearing their voice in his head, that first intro to the dragon he would spend the rest of his life forged with should have been a pivotal life experience. Instead, Xaden is all, Not that one. You get Cuir. I didn't like it. And kudos to Bodhi for at least trying to make his own choice.

Imogen

One of the better stories. Third favorite. Garrick shines here. However...

"Say the word and I won't so much as look at another woman. Ever."

Why does she need to say anything?

Rhiannon

Forgettable.

Sawyer

Dull.

Ridoc

Ridoc's story is everything you'd expect from Ridoc, in a good way.

Liam

Always an honor with that boy.

Sloane

Second favorite. And probably the most foreshadowing of the book. I am wholly invested in seeing where her role in this saga goes. Page 197 had me. 

Aaric

I loved Aaric in Onyx Storm. I hope he continues to shine.



The posts are flying up. Theories are running wild. I'm enjoying the chaos.

4 out of 5 stars.

Available in ebook | hardcover | audiobook

Previously in the series:


2026/47

No comments: